• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frani810

What is the name of your state? PA

Hello, I've been here quite a few times in the past. This site is very helpful. I work in Trenton, NJ and reside in PA. I really feel that I need to engage some legal counselling. The abuse in my workplace is overwhelming and worsening. I'm not sure if I need a lawyer from PA or NJ? Can you help?What is the name of your state?

frani810

Hi NaveBomb,

Thanks for the info. I would not know where to begin, but I do believe that I have a hostile environment situation. This type of documentation is very difficult to capture in writing. Any suggestions are more than welcome. Also, a friend of mine gave me the phone number to the NJ Dept of Labor. Do you think I should arrange to talk to someone from there?

NayeBomb

You don't have to keep a pad of paper on you but write about it when you get home. Write down the day and the time if you can of what happened...
if there were any witnesses....
if anyone else is experiencing the same treatment.
Anything you can do to support your claim. I would see an attorney specializing in employment law, sometimes they take cases on a contingency basis.

What is happening that you would consider it a hostile work environment?

seniorjudge

frani810 said:
What is the name of your state? PA

Hello, I've been here quite a few times in the past. This site is very helpful. I work in Trenton, NJ and reside in PA. I really feel that I need to engage some legal counselling. The abuse in my workplace is overwhelming and worsening. I'm not sure if I need a lawyer from PA or NJ? Can you help?What is the name of your state?
You need a lawyer close to the place where the abuse is happening.

frani810

Well, this is the difficulty that I have. I'm not good at wording things, and when I describe what is happening, I am discounted as a complainer. I am working in an attritional environrment. There are many things going on, very complex. I will try to relay some to you tomorrow. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

frani810

OK, I'm naive at this. I need some counselling/advising, and I'm searching for a lawyer. It was mentioned to look for someone who handles contingency clients - what does that mean? Do I need to go to a firm or someone who practices? I like the idea of getting a lawyer close to where I work.

justalayman

frani810 said:
OK, I'm naive at this. I need some counselling/advising, and I'm searching for a lawyer. It was mentioned to look for someone who handles contingency clients - what does that mean? Do I need to go to a firm or someone who practices? I like the idea of getting a lawyer close to where I work.
contingency means the attorney gets paid a percentage of your winnings , if there are any, as opposed to an hourly or contracted defined fee.

If you try laying out your situation, there are many here that can (and are willing). Without any specific info, all anybody can do is guess.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

frani810 said:
What is the actual dollar amount of your damages?

The lawyer will want from 10% to half of that.

Is the amount of your damages enough to make a lawyer want to take your case?

frani810

I need to know if there is any legal wrongdoing, I need some counselling. I don't know if I need a lawyer or if I should call the department of labor . Mistreatment and abuse of power among other things are taking place. I feel that I am specifically singled out (personally). It's very twisted.

The place is managed by "the good ole boys club." There is no one to go to in management to confide in because confidentiality is breached. I have no where to go to attain any defense or support, so I am seeking help on the outside.

My ultimate fate is the loss of my job. The way things are being worked and manipulated are degrading, demoralizing, dehumanizing, and personal. Just about everything that is bad and malicious that you ever learned about is taking place.

There's has to be somewhere to draw the line. There must be some laws to protect an individual. Would professional help be the way to go on this? Again, is it legal counsel that I should seek or just go to the department of labor?

Please help.

justalayman

Well you seem to not want to give any details so start with this page for a bit of info:

http://www.fcc.gov/owd/understanding-harassment.html

Generally treating one poorly does not create a hostile work enviroment nor is it considered as illegal harassment. With no info to go on, it is hard for anybody to give you much direction.

Simply put, it isn't illegal to be an a**hole.

Last edited:

frani810

Dear Sir,

It goes like this. I work for a hatchetman. He's been harrassing me since the day he entered the place. He plays hardball ONLY with me.

I once held a very nice position - I loved my job. I was the administration office for the whole department and assisted my boss to the best of my ability, and I was treated very nice - no bribes, just nice.

Throughout the 15 years of working under this boss, I have been in retribution for my past position in the department. EVERYTHING - every responsibility that I took pride in was given to someone with a much higher pay scale - Someone used to be my friend. The relationship is so bitter between he and I - there is no communication at all. And this breakdown does affect the workflow. He refuses to work with me. Of course, he has slandered me, he has offended me and wounded me tremendously to the point of no reparations. The respect is mutual. He has made a new position for me - the buttjoke, the ridicule of the whole two labs that he runs. AND, then after all of this, he faults me for being unprofessional with my anger and bitterness toward him and his "wives" and the working environment. Oh yes, I'm jealous too. This man portrays being a mild-mannered mouse, and yet, does a lot of talking at the same time.

(Please don't tell me to get another job - I try whenever I see a worthwhile ad. I get no responses. There are no jobs in my area.)

I have no speaking privileges. He is not approachable by me.

He has made an announcement now that he will be reducing through an attrition method. AND, now, once again, he is lining up the situation to put me in a compromising position - his ultimatum - to get rid of me. . . this has been his theme and hobby for 15 years - to get a voluntary resignation from me.

I'm there longer than him. I just had my 19th anniversary. AND, I've had enough. I can give you a couple of good examples where he has gone too far with me personally. Now, he has even managed to pit my counterpart against me. It's funny how we started out as "friends" and have become colder and colder to this point. What a man! There will be no dignity for me, will there!

Tell me, how do you graciously embrace and receive such covert, underhanded, and crooked maneuvers? Was I supposed to be smiling and bring in flowers each time he crushed me and stepped on me - in front of all of my co-workers?

I need advice from somebody, whether it be legal or medical. He is trying to show up my personality to get rid of me. He is showing favoritism to his wife who is also my counterpart who he is in "love" with to swap us in our locations. I worked too hard - all my life - for this. I'm straight as an arrow too! Very thorough with my work.

I've been accused of falsifying my time, violating payroll policies, coming in late illegally (when I followed the instructions that he himself approved), computer hacking, gossiping, investigated for applying for a FMLOA for chronic illness (which is our company policy/benefit). The list of suspicions and complaints about me is endless. Is anybody watching what this guy is doing? What kind of laws are in place? All the records are in place of exactly what I do. There is nothing illegal!

Oh yes, let me tell you that his wives do the same things that I used to, think the same way as I do, and he's OK with that.

What exactly do we all go to work to do?

Documentation can be very difficult to capture "the life". I do realize that it is necessary. But, by the way, the management is select on which documentation counts. I am abused, wrongfully. The management in my place breaches confidentiality. Go figure, then I get told I'm unprofessional. Oh yeah, let me tell you that I have been working in solitary confinement for a long time now. I have been silenced and extremently quiet, just watching everything and picking up on whatever I can. No noise from me for a long time. It is a very backstabbing management. I have NO communication whatsoever. However, for some reason, I remain the brunt of all their manipulation maneuvers, and held in very high suspicion as stated before.

I worked all my life. I love to work and take pride in my work. But, I do not excel in "games". I am honest, yet naive; powerless with no one to go to on my behalf.

That's the jist of my story.

Last edited:

justalayman

Why don't you do what you posted here:

I can give you a couple of good examples where he has gone too far with me personally.
very short, no emotions, no ramblings

as Joe Friday used to say: "just the facts ma'am"

as it stands, it looks as there is nothing you can do. Now if there is anything to follow what you eluded to in your last post,,,,well just give it a try

frani810

Thank you for reading my posts. I am disheartened. I am realizing that the laws are in place NOT for people like me, but only to protect the people who manage for the company. Legally, and ironically, the "boss" can do whatever he wants, no guidelines, no ethics, no fairness. If the boss does not like you, that's ok - even if a person like me is innocent. I am guilty of not being able to love talk with him. I am guilty of not being able to play with him.

I can only keep crying and wishing for something to break; perhaps a person of significance in the company to start looking into the execution and practices, to start assessing the dissent.

I really feel sorry for me. I've been working for 32 years, and have NEVER encountered anything of this nature before.

The boss is a man; all men are different. But this one is revered as a god.

Aside from everybody being an individual, may I throw this question out there:

What exactly is the point of such a practice?

You see, most of the staff is afraid of him and stays away from him - all except for the wives who are in bed with him and whispering to him and influencing him all the time. Is this practice a tool for downsizing or is it just a "different" personality - so this way he gets off the hook legally.

Oh yeah, everything has to be based sexually. You need to be lewd and then you are in favor.

This is a healthcare facility, and this is the work environment. Imagine being a patient!

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Well you seem to not want to give any details....

Personally, I'm grateful that she didn't. Want details? Do a search on her screen name; you'll learn more details than you want to know.

I lean towards the whining theory.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">