• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about backpay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

USNAVYO3

NYS.

Ok, situation is this.

Back on June 12th, Employee was given a promotion (VP) and a pay rise (let's say $20,000 pa).

The Company was very cash-strapped, so E agreed verbally to accept his current salary until C had more money, at which time backpay would be tendered retroactively to 6/12. Foregoing pay then being paid late was a common practice of C.

There is evidence that on July 11, a memo was placed in E's file by C's president, stating that the pay rise would be contingent on C's meeting certain sales goals. E states that this was never discussed at the time of the promotion, and that he only discovered the "benchmark" contingency yesterday, when laid-off.

Now, E claims the backpay based on breach-of-contract and specifically, detrimental reliance (he would have sought and taken another job had he not been promoted!)

I have advised him to write a more-or-less amicable letter requesting the backpay and interest computed according to IRS guidelines. It seems to me the July 11 letter is actually something of a smoking gun, as it demonstrates that the contract was unililaterally modified (of course, had E agreed to the new terms on July 11, it being an at-will state, his rights would have been far different -- but he never heard of it and certainly never agreed it).

I have further advised E that he will have to think long and hard about whether to proceed with legal action if C does not pay. Total is about $11,200 dollars-ish. There could be reflections on future background checks for employment, for one thing.

What are your thoughts about the situation and the mechanisms open to this worker?

Thank you very much for any thoughts!

AAL

USNAVYO3

One more potentially interesting aspect: C put a severance arrangement with E in writing at the time of the lay-off.

C's president handed the "termination letter" to E stating a payment plan for E's severance payment, signed by the president.

President then handed a separate "severance agreement" to E. There is no mention of this document in the termination letter, nor are there any contingencies or requirements discussed in the letter.

I am unable to see why E should sign the severance agreement at this time. He walked off the company's premises with the signed letter, but did not sign the "severance agreement." It contains no "carrot" for us and is all "stick," and is presented quite separately from the termination letter.

Thanks, AAL

seniorjudge

...The Company was very cash-strapped, so E agreed verbally to accept his current salary until C had more money, at which time backpay would be tendered retroactively to 6/12. Foregoing pay then being paid late was a common practice of C....

Is this legal?

USNAVYO3

I don't see why that would not be.

Employers have pretty elaborate delayed-comp schemes to preserve upfront cash.

Note that this is not really the crux of my instant problem, though. ;)

AAL

seniorjudge said:
...The Company was very cash-strapped, so E agreed verbally to accept his current salary until C had more money, at which time backpay would be tendered retroactively to 6/12. Foregoing pay then being paid late was a common practice of C....

Is this legal?

USNAVYO3

I agree with the former statement, but can tell you you're quite wrong with the latter.

The person worked mightily to save this firm, took a vacation, and was fired when he returned.

The firm will likely be out of business before long, in spite of E's best efforts.

Gadfly said:
C sounds like its management is screwed up

E is not VP material.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">