• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about hiring practices

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Need_Legal_Advi

What is the name of your state? TX

I have been informed by my company that when I go through applicants and find some that work for particular companies (unions) I am to give those applications directly to someone in HR to review. I personally am against unions but just because an applicant that is applying is from a company that may be unionized does this mean we have to treat them different? If this is wrong can I get into trouble for what I am doing? I have asked why we do this and that I feel it is wrong but I am told to just do my job. Now in case someone says what I see in other post "Quit your job and find another" that is easy for a lawyer to say but when you live in a small town and have worked for 10 years to get into the position you have it's hard to find another position that can pay what I make in the same town and surrounding areas.

Suggestions...

Beth3

An employer may not "discriminate" in hiring practices based on union affiliation. Since you are not making the hiring decisions, this is not your problem or your issue however. No, you are not liable for hiring decisions your employer makes. Just follow your supervisor's instruction to do your job in the manner in which you have been told.

BelizeBreeze

Ever hear of 'tempest in a teapot?'

Has it ever occurred that the reason those applications are being forwarded to HR is because you are not qualified nor have the training or education to handle such a complex legal and ethical decision based on your post here?

There is absolutely nothing inherently wrong or illegal about HR making the decision to review an application based on an applicant's criteria, such as having a college degree, being a member of a union or their background.

Venus05

BelizeBreeze said:
Ever hear of 'tempest in a teapot?'

Has it ever occurred that the reason those applications are being forwarded to HR is because you are not qualified nor have the training or education to handle such a complex legal and ethical decision based on your post here?

There is absolutely nothing inherently wrong or illegal about HR making the decision to review an application based on an applicant's criteria, such as having a college degree, being a member of a union or their background.
All I can say is that Nunya has some pretty tough people that hold nothing back...Belize, some things you write crack me up, other times, you just go right for the juggler. How can you be certain that the author of this post does not have enough training or education as you have implied? Constructive criticism is great and I for one appreciate it, but don't you think it is a little bit ruthless to imply that one is not qualified or does not have proper training based on what they post?

BelizeBreeze

Venus05 said:
All I can say is that Nunya has some pretty tough people that hold nothing back...Belize, some things you write crack me up, other times, you just go right for the juggler. How can you be certain that the author of this post does not have enough training or education as you have implied? Constructive criticism is great and I for one appreciate it, but don't you think it is a little bit ruthless to imply that one is not qualified or does not have proper training based on what they post?
I don't. But posting such a question is ground to suspect that such a person doesn't have the faintest clue about the legal ramifications of employment law decisions.

And, as I said in my post, there is absolutely nothing wrong with reviewing certain applications. This is simply a case of someone looking for a problem.

rmet4nzkx

Venus05 said:
Look at her other thread, Confused about new Neoptism Policy
Need_Legal_Advi
Looks like she hired her boyfriend and is abusing her authority and doens't have a good understanding of the complex laws associated with employment, demonstrated incompetence not assumption.

Venus05

rmet4nzkx said:
Look at her other thread, Confused about new Neoptism Policy
Need_Legal_Advi
Looks like she hired her boyfriend and is abusing her authority and doens't have a good understanding of the complex laws associated with employment, demonstrated incompetence not assumption.
O.K., now I see..I did not realize she was portraying herself to be in a different operable position in her other post. Thank you for the clarification. ;)

rmet4nzkx

Venus05 said:
O.K., now I see..I did not realize she was portraying herself to be in a different operable position in her other post. Thank you for the clarification. ;)
That's why we read the post and sometimes others, people have a tendency to only post what they want answered a certain way and get angry when they don't hear what they want or even more so when caught in lies. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">