• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about me being fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mickmick

What is the name of your state?PA
I was fired about 2 wks ago. Work for a cpa firm. I have an expired license and during my interview I did not disclose this information. The words CPA were on my resume. I did inform the HR person on the first day that the license was expired and that I was working towards getting it back.
Several emails and conversations were passed between us about it. I was fired because I did not tell them in the interview. It has been very hard getting information since I left. I don't know if I qualify for COBRA benefits. I found out they had a meeting with everyone in the firm and told them that I was dishonest. I have a few issues. One is if I qualify for Cobra or not. The other is that I feel they should have more discreet and not shared this with the entire firm.
Finally, all of my contact has been through my old supervisor. Even when I picked up my final paycheck. What bothers me is that they make me out to look horrible, and he made a blatant pass at me immediately after I was fired. I guess I am still angry, but part of me wants to at least call the partner and maybe discuss some of these issues? Should I just move on?

Sockeye

If you had medical benefits then you do qualify for COBRA, the company has 45 days from the date of termination to provide you with signing in for COBRA benefits, you have 60 days from that time to repond.

As for the termination, nothing in employment law to assist you.

mickmick

thanks for your reply. the problem w/ the cobra is that i was only there for a few weeks, my insurance would have kicked in 10/1, but i was fired on 9/28. do i have to go back to my previous employer? i left them back around 9/1 and i declined cobra back then.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you were fired before your insurance benefits kicked in, you are NOT eligible for COBRA with your most recent employer.

IF it has been less than sixty days since your coverage with your old employer expired, you can still sign up for COBRA with them even though you had initially declined. If it has been more than 60 days, you are out of luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">