• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about mediation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vegas42

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Hi I just recently went through a mediation with a company for wrongful termination. I don't have much money so I pretty much had a court appointed lawyer. at the mediation, I thought we came to terms and a rough draft was written up. I was told by my lawyer to just sign it since it was just a rough draft and would be revised at a later time. I signed the rough draft based on what it said at that current time. A week later when the "revised" agreement came, things were changed completely and now I disagree with it all because its not what I had first signed to and is completely taking screwing me over, is there anything I can do and what steps do I take.

vegas42

hes not really helping

hes kind of at the point where hes telling me to accept anything, that way he can still tell people hes never lost a case. So I told him they changed the terms and his exact words were "just sign it and be careful from now on." now i'm not paralegal but i personally think thats bad advice which is why I came to this site. And being the kind of job I have where resume and track record mean everything, them changing the agreement and pretty much erasing my existance at the company in order to prove a point will cost me alot more than I ever would pay in court if we didn't go to mediation.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Your attorney, however, knows all the relevant facts of your case and is in a much better position than we are to determine what can reasonably expected or hoped for. I'm certainly not going to take it at face value that he just wanted to continue his winning streak.

Your lawyer can advise you to sign, but he can not compel you to sign. Ultimately, the decision is yours.

vegas42

ya thats understandable but this whole couple months hes pretty much been sittin back. I've had to do most of the research on my own (hence me being here) while hes not really doing anything in my favor so I'm not really sure what steps to take. Have faith in him and trust he has my best interest or go find another lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">