• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about non-compete clause in real estate agent employment contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BP711

I'm currently a new real estate agent in North Carolina and have encountered my first employment contract. Everything looks ok except the non-compete clause. It states...Salesperson acknowledges that Broker specializes in property in certain market segments and specifically agrees not to compete with Broker in the areas listed below for a period of one year after termination. This clause shall survive termination. Areas covered by this clause include greater (will exclude 3 city names). Additonally Salesperson, upon termination, agrees not to initiate any contact with any of Brokers clients or customers regardless of their location for a period of one year. Should a client or customer initiate contact with Salesperson, Salesperon shall refer the client or customer to the Broker.

I understand the Broker's intent to protect himself, but is this a normal clause? I'm afraid of being so new to the business I might lock myself out of locations. Please any advice would help. Thank you.

J

johnral

noncompete clause

It is fairly normal, and they are enforceable in NC if they are "reasonable" (in geographic area and duration). Your langauge seems routine and reasonable. [email protected]

B

BP711

Thanks so much~johnral. That eases my mind about signing it. I appreciate the feedback.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">