• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about termination and new job hunt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?--IL

Question--I was employed for a company for over 5 years, received many raises, additional responsibilities and good reviews. To my knowledge, I had an "unblemished" record.

3 weeks ago I was fired for "misconduct"--Some personal emails to "friends" who were co-workers were revealed to management and I was discharged. I suspect a co-worker was out for my job but that's really irrelevant at this point.

Dilemma-When applying for new jobs how honest do I have to be about this? My reason for termination makes me look like a terrible employee, when in reality that's not the case at all. And, can a background check reveal the reasons for leaving my latest employer?

Thanks!--Signed, Unfortunatley Job Hunting again!

Okay, let me re-phrase it then.

In the State of IL, is it LEGAL for a former employer to disclose a former employee's reason for leaving the company- to a propective employer that calls to verify employment?

BelizeBreeze

Job_Hunting said:
Okay, let me re-phrase it then.

In the State of IL, is it LEGAL for a former employer to disclose a former employee's reason for leaving the company- to a propective employer that calls to verify employment?
Of course it is, as long as it is truthful.

st.even

I have the same problem

I live in California, so I hope this applies to you. I have the same problem and dont know what to write either, but I was told by a union offical for the section regarding supervisor name, use the HR rep name and phone number. If you put in your last supervisor name, you might well not even apply for the job.

Good Luck and I Hope this helped...

Yes, that's exactly what I've done--
I won't lie on an application, I will list who the supervisor was, but where it asks for "okay to contact", I will list the HR manager and other key positions who will give a truthful account to my character and work performance.

Good Luck. We should just learn from our experiences and move on positively.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
st.even, your union official is playing a dangerous game with you. Certainly you can request that a prospective employer contact HR instead of your direct supervisor, but listing the HR person where it asks for your supervisor can be considered falsifying your application, which is immediate grounds to place you in the do-not-hire file, or in the Terminate Immediately file if you happen to have already been hired when it is discovered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">