• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about wrongful termination?!?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bctaylor22

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

Hi I am new at this and hope that I am even doing it right!

I started working at my children's daycare a few weeks ago, immediatly I realized that they had some issues involving the Health Department and the Department of Human Services on the cleanliness issues at the day care. Which is what I think led to my termination after trying to get me to quit voluntarily did not work.

A number of incidents led up to this, but to start, about 2 weeks ago, the director of the daycare approached me and told me that my daughter (2yrs old) has head lice, I immediatly asked for her to be sent to my class, where I checked her and found nothing (I also had just had her hair cut that previous weekend and nothing was mentioned of head lice) Anyway, I take her and immediatly have her checked at pro cuts. Where nothing is found. When I return for my son (1) that afternoon, I inform the director who has now told many of my co workers that my daughter "has lice". The very next day we return back there, I work from 8-1130am (go to college on my break) and return by 130-6pm. Only to be informed that now my daughter had thrown up so bad that she was covered in it and my husband had been called at his job to immediatly pick her up. (only when he gets there, there is no vomit, or sign of any vomit, no fever anything) only an unchanged diaper. Nevertheless, he takes her home. I return back to work and try to be understanding. The following Monday and Tuesday go fine, and then Wed. my daughter really is ill. I call in to work and let them know, they say its ok to stay home with her, I call the next day but she is not getting any better so I make an appt. to take her to the doctor. A case of shingella (sp?) had been going around the daycare. So the doctor felt it was important to test for this, he had me get 4 samples from her stool, and return them to the lab that afternoon, I did. His office gave me a note stating that my daughter is not to return until we receive the results of the lab. I immediatly take the note to the daycare and hand deliver the original to the owner of the daycare (the director had left early) and show her the prescription. She asked me when I would return, I told her I had to wait on the lab but hopefully on monday. She said ok, just let her know. I agreed. Monday, I still had not heard from the dr. I called the director and informed her I was still waiting, she informs me no one had even told her what was going on but she said ok and call her the next day. The following day still I had not heard from the dr. So I called his office, and they inform me it is still not in and they will contact me when it is, but it could take up to 72 hrs. I agree. I immediatly call my employer and tell the director, she is completely understanding and says this is not a problem she has plenty of people working and to call her when I my daughter gets released. Friday, morning I called my dr office (since I still have not heard from my dr office) and the receptionist again checks and says its not in and she would call the lab as it should have already been back. I agree. Within an hour, I receive a call from the nurse that her lab came back ok, and she could return to normal activities. So I immediatly call the daycare, and ask to return that afternoon for work. The director informs me that I had did a no call no show the previous day (thursday) and therefore, "no call no show no job" I have no idea why she did that, we talked numerous times through the week... I was not supposed to call everyday, we agreed I'd call when I got released. I know this because I had not called her the Wed. either and she didnt terminate me then. So technically they fired me. I had no intention of leaving. I actually need the job. Now I am with no job or no daycare for my children. Also, when I return for my kids belongings. They can not locate them. Diapers, clothes, wipes. Everything gone! I do not know what to do, and was curious if anyone had any advice for me??? Should I just let it go? I am angry. I feel like they treated me this way after I questioned a few concerns, but I didnt ever act inappropriate. What should I do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Cyndi :confused:

mlane58

This wasn't a wrongful termination as it has specific meaning under the law and your post doesn't meet that.

Betty

Agree - no wrongful/illegal termination. Ok. is an at-will employment state & you can be terminated at any time for any reason not protected by law (ie religion, gender, race) or unless there was a bona fide employment contract or CBA to the contrary.

You could have also quit your job at any time for any reason w/o a contract to the contrary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">