• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question - Please Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shannon25

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Ohio

I don't know if this is the correct thread for this specific question, but here goes:

I work at a medical office where I have worked for nearly 6 years. I started out working part-time in medical records through the end of high school and college. After I graduated from college and was looking for a job, I was offered a promotion as the new physical therapy receptionist (a job created with growth and expansion of the office). I took the job and have been there since March. I have been happy there because although I had been very frustrated with the poor management and disorganization of the office, therapy is somewhat away from the "madness" being on the second floor of the building and almost a separate entity. I also very much enjoy my co-workers upstairs in therapy and was happy enough that I have not been actively searching for a job in my field of study. But things have changed...with the hiring of a new office manager who is horrible with employees and who has made enemies of most of the employees. The morale is at a all-time low in my time at the clinic and a couple people are planning on leaving (including my favorite co-worker in therapy - which doesn't motivate me to want to stay there) and several more are nearly at that point (including myself).

The reason I am asking for your help today though, is because of the latest move the office manager is making which affects my whole job. I have been training another girl who works downstairs at the front desk to do my job for the past month or for what we were told was "cross-training" that the office manager wanted done so that we could "cover for each other for vacations." I was also supposed to be "cross-trained" to work in the billing department…or so she said. I have been very suspicious of her "real" motives and knew that she was planning something. Well, I finally know what she had planned as I was called into her office and told that I would now be working downstairs taking over the other girl’s job and training to do medical billing and the girl would be taking over my job in therapy. We were both "informed" about this...not asked. I have worked downstairs to cover before and had to work there on Friday afternoon and I hate it. I have no desire to be there and if forced to work there, I will have to quit...although I want to have another job lined up first. My question is...do I have any rights in this matter? Are they allowed to simply move me to a different department...a new job against my wishes? I plan to go in first thing Monday morning and talk to this office manager and tell her that I am not happy and do not want to change jobs. I am going to ask her if I have any say in the matter and if she says no, I was hoping to have some law backing me up saying that she cannot force me to change jobs. Are there any such laws? Does anyone have any advice for me? I am so stressed out, upset and ANGRY that I don't even want to go back! :mad: Please help!

ShyCat

My question is...do I have any rights in this matter?
Yes, you can quit or not, your choice.

Are they allowed to simply move me to a different department...a new job against my wishes?
Yes.

I am going to ask her if I have any say in the matter and if she says no, I was hoping to have some law backing me up saying that she cannot force me to change jobs. Are there any such laws?
No.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Agreed. While it may or may not be fair, your employer is not violating any laws and nothing in your post gives you any legal recourse. If you want to quit, quit, but know that if you do so, it is EXCEEDINGLY unlikely that you will qualify for unemployment benefits based on the facts in your post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">