• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question regarding offer letter start date delay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

ime007

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia

This may be a no-brainer, but I'm young and new at all of this. Please bear with me.

In mid-April, I received an offer letter for an overseas contract position with a start date of "[May 1 and no later than May 15]. This will be based on [company] receiving your [paperwork] message." I submitted my paperwork information in mid-March, so I figured this would be no problem. However, about the same time I got the offer letter, I also received a request for some additional information regarding the paperwork.

As it turns out, when calling to follow up on the paperwork, I discovered the expected return time is 30-45 days (from the time they got the 'additional information'). This was unbeknownst to me at the time I returned the offer letter (and resigned from my former position), so I immediately contacted my overseas hiring manager who assured me that it would have no negative impact on my hiring proceedings.

In the meantime, I've been effectively unemployed since April 23rd, which is beginning to create some financial concerns (primarily due to 'first paycheck' delays - it'll probably be another month at the earliest before I start to see any income). A friend suggested that the company may have been obligated to begin paying me on May 15th in order to 'retain' me, or they could give me a small position that doesn't require said paperwork for the same reasons. Is this true? I've emailed a local manager and the aforementioned overseas one last week, but have received no reply.

Due to this being 'at-will,' I don't want to jeopardize the offer by being a pain. At the same time, I don't want them to be taking advantage of me.

In summation, I suppose it all boils down to one simple issue:
1. Is the hiring company obligated to start paying me?
2. If not legally bound to do so (as I'm assuming it isn't), is it customary?

*Note: The delay is resulting from a transfer of my paperwork, as opposed to its origination.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
karen

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The answers to your questions are no and no. An offer letter is not a contract and does not bind the employer to begin payment if you have, for whatever reason, not yet begun work.

It not only is not customary to do so; depending on what paperwork is the cause of the holdup, it may even be illegal for them to do so.

Beth3

I also agree that the answers to your questions are "no" and "no." You can explain your financial situation and ask them if they'd consider putting you on the payroll early but as cbg commented, since we don't know what the paperwork hold-up is, there may be some legalities involved in doing so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">