• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question on termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

merelymichelle

What is the name of your state?
California

I have a question about termination.

My father has been working for a wholesale Japanese housewares company for 15+ years as the Warehouse Supervisor, the same company in which my mother worked for as an accountant the last 9 years before going into a year of unemployment and was fired from last year for no apparent reason. We found a posting on an internet job board made by the company for his position at a lower salary (from $72,000 to $48,000) and with much more job qualifications (such as working with Excel and barcoding) . He was not informed about this posting from his boss at all and now faces what seems to be future termination. Is this legal?

-Michelle

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Nothing in your post indicates that anything illegal has transpired. And don't jump to conclusions - for all you or he knows, they're going to open another branch or expand the existing location, and the new position is for someone IN ADDITION to him.

I think what you're really asking is, is it legal to fire someone for no reason? The answer is, yes, it is legal. But to be perfectly honest, it is EXCEEDINGLY rare that someone is fired for NO reason. You may not know what the reason is, but I promise you, no employer gets up in the morning and says, I think I'll fire someone today. It may not be a good reason; the reason may not be obvious to the employee, but there is always a reason. It costs money to fire one employee and hire, train, and bring up to speed a new employee; employers don't do that for no reason at all.

Beth3

I suggest your father ask his boss about the internet posting. Better he inquire and find out what's going on (which quite possibly is completely innocuous), than for your dad to continue to imagine the worst.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">