• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question on "Until the earlier of"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gregchenny

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

My employment agreement with my ex-employer has this date limitation on working for the company's customers:

until the earlier of four (4) years after the date you became employed by aaa or one (1) year after the termination of your employment, you will not be employed by a customer....

I joined this company 6 years ago, and just resigned on 1/31/2014. Based on the agreement, does this mean I can work for the company's customers now?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

My employment agreement with my ex-employer has this date limitation on working for the company's customers:

until the earlier of four (4) years after the date you became employed by aaa or one (1) year after the termination of your employment, you will not be employed by a customer....

I joined this company 6 years ago, and just resigned on 1/31/2014. Based on the agreement, does this mean I can work for the company's customers now?
What an odd wording.

It sounds as if you can work for the customer because you not only weren't terminated, you worked for your ex-employer for 6 years. But, because this IS a strange clause and only an excerpt taken from your agreement, I suggest you have the employment agreement - in its entirety - personally reviewed by a professional in your area. You would be smart to have this clarified before taking a job with one of the company's customers.

gregchenny

Thanks for the advice.

The company put the condition (four (4) years after the date you became employed by aaa), because it spends lots of time/money (about 6 months) to train new employees. The company does not want someone to get the training and leave immediately and then go to customers.

quincy

Thanks for the advice.

The company put the condition (four (4) years after the date you became employed by aaa), because it spends lots of time/money (about 6 months) to train new employees. The company does not want someone to get the training and leave immediately and then go to customers.
That makes sense. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">