• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questionable behavior @ work place

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

meshel

What is the name of your state? Indiana
Does an employer have the right to ask if you if you are on medication? If not whom would I need to inform of their inappropriate behavior? This has happen on many occassions with many of the people who are employed there now an previously (except famiy members employed there). Also, if you are in the office and telling your supervisor of an medical issue you need to miss work for, can another employee stay in the office even if you have said you don't want to discuss it in front of the other employee?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Indiana
Does an employer have the right to ask if you if you are on medication? If not whom would I need to inform of their inappropriate behavior? This has happen on many occassions with many of the people who are employed there now an previously (except famiy members employed there). Also, if you are in the office and telling your supervisor of an medical issue you need to miss work for, can another employee stay in the office even if you have said you don't want to discuss it in front of the other employee?
Are you on medication?

meshel

I'm not hiding from anything. I was curious if an employer had the right to ask what I would think would be a medically protected question except by your own doctor, but thank you anyways. I'll find out another way to get my answer.

Beth3

Yes, an employer has the right to ask an employee if they are on medication and if so, what medication. This assumes the employer has a legitimate reason to ask, e.g., concerns about safety on the job, attentiveness, ability to perform their job duties, etc., and is not fishing around in an attempt to uncover a disability that would be protected under the ADA.

Yes, the employer can have another employee stay in the office while the supervisor discusses this with you. Whether that's a good idea or not depends on the specifics of the situation.

AL HR

Ditto Beth3.

Also, they may be asking if the person seems unsteady, slurring words, etc. to determine if a drug test is needed. (Our company would test first and ask later, but not all are that way.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">