• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questionnable Hiring Practice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

unusual

What is the name of your state? AZ

I live in AZ. I recently was interviewed for a Sr. Management position with a large company in MN. As part of the interviewing process, I had to complete several written assessments and I had to meet for an hour with a psychologist. The psychologist was approximately 70 years old and male. Right from the start, he called me "young lady" and he also asked personal questions relating to my family. I didn't get the job and my understanding is that the main factor was a "marginal" rating by the psychologist. Is this legal? My concern is that the psychologist had a personal bias about strong women which may have affected the outcome. I wasn't given any details about the results of the written assessments. I also have no idea how the personal information about my family was used in the process. I was told the company did not get details of the conversation.

BelizeBreeze

unusual said:

I live in AZ. I recently was interviewed for a Sr. Management position with a large company in MN. As part of the interviewing process, I had to complete several written assessments and I had to meet for an hour with a psychologist. The psychologist was approximately 70 years old and male. Right from the start, he called me "young lady" and he also asked personal questions relating to my family. I didn't get the job and my understanding is that the main factor was a "marginal" rating by the psychologist. Is this legal? My concern is that the psychologist had a personal bias about strong women which may have affected the outcome. I wasn't given any details about the results of the written assessments. I also have no idea how the personal information about my family was used in the process. I was told the company did not get details of the conversation.
And of course, as a senior manager, you would form an opinion based on a general statement without supporting facts?

If that's not the case, why would you expect anything less from a LEGAL opinion?

S

seniorjudge

unusual said:

Are you a "young lady"?

I didn't realize that was an offensive term!?

Things have really gone downhill....

unusual

As a woman in her 30s, I consider "young lady" to be offensive. I worked very hard to earn a senior management position. I do understand that this statement is not offensive to specific generations. To me, it is similar to calling me "honey". My concern isn't just the statement but the overall package of the statement plus the personal questions that were part of the process.

BelizeBreeze

unusual said:
As a woman in her 30s, I consider "young lady" to be offensive. I worked very hard to earn a senior management position. I do understand that this statement is not offensive to specific generations. To me, it is similar to calling me "honey". My concern isn't just the statement but the overall package of the statement plus the personal questions that were part of the process.
And of course, being a woman in her 30s you told the psychologist that you found the term 'young lady' to be offensive and asked that he not call you that again. RIGHT?

Guess what, you are a bitter woman in her 30s looking for an excuse for a lawsuit and you just don't have one. So, either get over yourself or waste your time, money and effort on filing a frivilous suit that will come back to bite you in your 30s butt.

rolesnuoc

References to gender, sex, age, race, etc. are not appropriate in the setting you described. With that being said, there are some generations that do not realize the affects of these references and they normally do not mean to be condescending or disrespectful. Regarding the personal questions, I would need more information about what questions were asked to comment on the legality. You may want to have a consultation with an attorney in your area to discuss specifics relating to the interviewing process.

S

seniorjudge

unusual said:
I work with 20 females -- that is not an offensive term, I hope -- and they call each other "girls."

panzertanker

unusual said:
Just b/c you feel that being called "young lady" is equal to "honey" does not mean it is so. Did you tell him that it offended you so that he would then realize that you did not like it? I call patients honey, darling and dear all the time, and there is no condescending tone to it and I gladly cease if made aware that the person does not like it.

You need to get over it. You state you are a "strong" woman, so be strong and suck it up and move on, darling!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Y'know, it's really hard to keep track of what is and isn't offensive these days, since it varies from person to person. I'm in my mid-forties and would not be remotely offended by being called "young lady" by someone in his 70's. Everyone wants to be called something different; is everyone supposed to have a crystal ball and know by instinct what is and is not acceptable to you?

With regards to the personal questions, I agree with the poster who says we don't have enough information to say if there's an issue or not. With regards to the "young lady" comment, I agree with the poster who suggests you get over yourself.

S

seniorjudge

panzertanker said:
Just b/c you feel that being called "young lady" is equal to "honey" does not mean it is so. Did you tell him that it offended you so that he would then realize that you did not like it? I call patients honey, darling and dear all the time, and there is no condescending tone to it and I gladly cease if made aware that the person does not like it.

You need to get over it. You state you are a "strong" woman, so be strong and suck it up and move on, darling!
In the southern parts of the US (and I'm including Missouri here) "little girl" means (and I have heard it used thus recently) the same as "young lady" and neither term is considered in the slightest to be offensive.

unusual

Questionnable Hiring

Point taken on the "Young Lady" comment. Thanks for the feedback. Regarding the personal questions, they related to my siblings, their ages, their occupations, and their personalities.

S

seniorjudge

unusual said:
Point taken on the "Young Lady" comment. Thanks for the feedback. Regarding the personal questions, they related to my siblings, their ages, their occupations, and their personalities.
What kind of job was it? Was he maybe looking for your reactions to your sibs? Psychiatrists/psychologists ask pretty strange questions for unfathomable reasons.

unusual

Questionnable Hiring

It was an executive level job in the technology field. I was unable to comment on my siblings personalities and in some cases even their professions. We aren't a close knit group. It was strange as he didn't ask about my husband or kids, if I was adopted, a child of divorce, etc. I'm not sure he asked enough to form a well rounded picture but on the other hand, I'm not sure he should have asked at all.

panzertanker

seniorjudge said:
What kind of job was it? Was he maybe looking for your reactions to your sibs? Psychiatrists/psychologists ask pretty strange questions for unfathomable reasons.
If it was either a highly stressful job, or very exclusive job (government, defense contractor, etc) I think I could understand the need to evaluate your ability to adjust/compensate and how your upbringing would impact decisions you might have to make.

I wonder if you could have stated that you did not want to discuss your family since they are not applying for the job? Possibly would have had a negative impact on your scoring from the interview though...

BelizeBreeze

rolesnuoc said:
References to gender, sex, age, race, etc. are not appropriate in the setting you described. With that being said, there are some generations that do not realize the affects of these references and they normally do not mean to be condescending or disrespectful. Regarding the personal questions, I would need more information about what questions were asked to comment on the legality. You may want to have a consultation with an attorney in your area to discuss specifics relating to the interviewing process.
Are you serious? Point to ONE incident IN THE POST where a consultation with an attorney is warranted?

I think someone is playing attorney. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">