• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about Background Checks/Arrest Record - Washington, DC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gigi007

What is the name of your state? DC

About 4 years ago, I was arrested for shoplifting. Since it was a first offense, the public defender got me into a diversion program and I did community service, which I successfully completed.

I have been worried about the long-term implications of having an arrest record. When I tried to ask the public defender about it, she said that I shouldn't worry about it and that there was no way to seal or expunge (I'm not sure which term is correct here) the arrest record. She also said that I could go to the police department and ask them to do some kind of record search (not sure what it's called) and also to the Clerk of the Court's office (actually to do that first), but she (the public defender/attorney) didn't believe that anything would turn up. She also said that by asking questions at the Clerk of the Court's office, I might be opening a can of worms and looking for trouble. Honestly, I don't trust this public defender's advice as even in my direct dealings with her when I had my problem, she was always in a hurry and seemed to make light of the whole situation. Later, I had a hard time gettting a hold of her and getting straight answers to my questions.

I also called the Clerk of the Court to know the disposition of the case and I was told that it was "nullied".

In recent years, I haven't applied to any companies who have asked questions about my arrest record or whether or not I had ever been convicted of a crime. However, I am thinking about applying to several companies which I believe may ask these things and/or may also conduct a background check. So,here are my questions:

1. Can an arrest record for an adult in Washington, DC be sealed? If so, what is the procedure?
2. Would I be correct in saying that I have never been convicted of a crime, or is participation in a diversion program considered a conviction?
3. What exactly does "nullied" mean (concerning the disposition)?
4. Should I go to both the Clerk's office of the Court's criminal division and then the police department (not sure which one - I think it's the main police dept located near the DC courthouse) and do some kind of record check on myself?

Thanks in advance for your advice. I do appreciate it.

Gigi007

Re: Answers to Questions - Anyone w/ Knowledge/Experience?

I am wondering if anyone has any insight regarding my original post - especially questions #1 and #4? I was able to get some help with the others in another forum- it turns out that the clerk who told me that the disposition was "nollied" meant nolled prossed, so I now understand what that means.

But, I am still looking for answers to the other questions. If anyone has either knowledge or personal experience with this issue (especially as it pertains to background checks and employment -- which is why I've posted here), I'd really apreciate it. Please see my original post. Thanks a lot.

Gigi007

Re: double post

Sorry, if I posted in two places as the issues seemed to be relevant to both the criminal and employment forums. I am also still looking for some advice / information regarding two of my question. I very much appreciated your help with the "nolle prossed" issue.

I also felt that the issue was particularly relevant in this forum (employment) since a lot of people have to deal with background checks.

Anyway, I'm still looking for some advice. Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help.

phildawn6

Possible help

I also completed the diversion program for a misdamenor. I now have no criminal record therefore I don't have to check the box have you been convicted of a crime. As for the arrest I'm not sure but it never hurts to tell the truth and say all charges were dropped possible you was young and dumb like myself, it has worked for me. Hope this helps but I am in kansas. You could also just pull a background check on yourself but those can be costly. Don't go for the freebies they don't provide enough information.

Last edited:

Gigi007

To Phildawn - thanks & anyone out there in DC who has similar situation?

Thanks for your advice, Phildawn. I guess I'm wondering where I should do a background check on myself. The public defender who helped me years ago told me that I could first go to the Criminal division of the court to see what was in the file - but she didn't recommend it -- saying that I might be looking for trouble that way. Then she said something about getting a police department background check report, but I don't know where or how to do that.

So, I wonder if anyone reading this is familiar with how this works in Washington, DC or if anyone has been in a similar situation?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">