• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions in application.. lawful?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nesrodriguez

Miami, Florida
I applied for a position which I had before applying. Passed tests with very good scores. In the application , background check it asked 1) have you ever plead guilty or no contest to any crime, 2) have you had or will have a with hold of judification. I've plead guilty to things from traffic citations to a fight in a night club. And I'm going through a with hold of judification for a possesion of narcotics charge. I didn't have 6 thousand dollars to go to court which I could of proved and won. On the interview, once the gentleman viewed the print out of my application, told me I had to wait for the background check and I would not be able to start on that job. Basically, with the attitude he showed me, there was no way I was getting the job. And there will not be any openings for a very long time, this I know.
Can any company ask these questions? This is the first time I've ever come across such questions in my 36 years.
This was a call center job, customer service representative.

Thank you in advance,

N

nesrodriguez

Correction to my post

I'm sorry, I meant to say I've plead NO CONTEST to traffic citations and a fight in a night club.
Sorry again.....

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In the state of Florida, yes they can ask these questions. Not all states allow it, but Florida does not have any regs regarding what an employer can or can't ask with regards to convictions or arrests.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">