• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions on a Job Application:

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Davidc

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I am a resident of Massachusetts, but seeking a position in Florida. I recently filled out a job application whereby I was asked certain questions about my background that seemed to be out of the ordinary to me. I was wondering if these questions are legal:

1. Have you ever been convicted of a crime?

2. Have you ever pled guilty, pled no contest, pled nolo contendere, had adjudication withheld or been placed in a pretrial intervention or diversion program as a result of being charged with a crime?

Any advice or knowledge of what is proper would be helpful. These questions seem to open up the potential employer to discrimination of some sort I would think.

Thank you

seniorjudge

Yes, those are legal questions.

These questions seem to open up the potential employer to discrimination of some sort I would think.

Of course it is discrimination. It is perfectly legal to discriminate against a person for his criminal record.

moburkes

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I am a resident of Massachusetts, but seeking a position in Florida. I recently filled out a job application whereby I was asked certain questions about my background that seemed to be out of the ordinary to me. I was wondering if these questions are legal:

1. Have you ever been convicted of a crime?[/quote[ Yes, legal.

2. Have you ever pled guilty, pled no contest, pled nolo contendere, had adjudication withheld or been placed in a pretrial intervention or diversion program as a result of being charged with a crime?
Yes, legal.

Any advice or knowledge of what is proper would be helpful. These questions seem to open up the potential employer to discrimination of some sort I would think.

Thank you
Most discriminations are legal.

Beanie711

Perfectly legal. And most employers (depending on the job the person is applying for) will still consider the applicant if they are upfront and honest about their history.

Betty

Yes, legal and anyone completing a job app. needs to answer these questions truthfully. If they don't, the info would most likely be picked up on a background check anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">