• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quit job and last paycheck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

driftmonkey

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I recently started working at a company and quit after a week due to an opportunity I couldnt pass up.
My old job is saying that they won't pay me since this is job abandonment. I have always thought it was illegal not to pay an employee.
Even if the employee quits they are entitled to their last pay check, right?

What can I do to make sure I get my pay check?

Thanks.

mlane58

Contact the Maryland state DOL and file a wage complaint. You have to be paid for all hours worked whether that was 1 hour or 40.

Beth3

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I recently started working at a company and quit after a week due to an opportunity I couldnt pass up.
My old job is saying that they won't pay me since this is job abandonment. I have always thought it was illegal not to pay an employee.
Even if the employee quits they are entitled to their last pay check, right?

What can I do to make sure I get my pay check?

Thanks.
What a bunch of knuckleheads. :rolleyes: In MD, final wages are due no later than the next regular payday. Contact MD's Department of Labor and file a complaint.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">