• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

quit job: previous employer wont release 401K

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dcmiller626

What is the name of your state? Ohio

i quit my job (of 8years) two weeks ago. my employer still has not emailed my 401k provider that i am "inactive", even after i have called sveral times to ask them to do so.
until they tell the 401k people that i am inactive, i cannot access my 401k money.

my question is: how long can my previous employer "stall" before converting me to inactive status, and if necessary, do i have a legal right to sue them for my 401k money?

thanks in advance for any info.

moburkes

What is the name of your state? Ohio

i quit my job (of 8years) two weeks ago. my employer still has not emailed my 401k provider that i am "inactive", even after i have called sveral times to ask them to do so.
until they tell the 401k people that i am inactive, i cannot access my 401k money.

my question is: how long can my previous employer "stall" before converting me to inactive status, and if necessary, do i have a legal right to sue them for my 401k money?

thanks in advance for any info.
Contact the department of labor.

Betty

The IRS requires the administrator of the 401k to send an explanation of options available to the former employee within 30-90 days of the decision deadline.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">