• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quit Without Notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emphanidzo

What is the name of your state? OHIO

I recently terminated my employment with my employer without notice. Now they are holding my checks that they owe me and have sent me a letter asking me to sign it, and then the checks will be released. The letter just states that I have ended my employment with them. Can they legally do this, and why should I sign this? This is just a mom and pop shop with no obligation to them or their employment.

matti422

Sounds like they just want written notice of when you quit. This could be for their records to ensure they can prove they don't have to be paying taxes or SS for you because you no longer work there. If the letter really just says "I no longer work here", then why not sign it? They just want their records to be correct.

jkim

contact your state's dept of labor

emphanidzo said:
What is the name of your state? OHIO

I recently terminated my employment with my employer without notice. Now they are holding my checks that they owe me and have sent me a letter asking me to sign it, and then the checks will be released. The letter just states that I have ended my employment with them. Can they legally do this, and why should I sign this? This is just a mom and pop shop with no obligation to them or their employment.
contact the dept of labor in your state. they can not hold your check. if you were an at will employee, you do not have to sign anything to terminate your employment.

C

CheeseBlotto

On the other hand, if that's ALL that the letter states, you are bring a world-class a-hole for no particular purpose, and these people are better off without you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
ikim is correct. Nothing in the law says that you have to sign anything, and they cannot legally hold your checks.

However, if there is nothing in the letter that you disagree with, you will collect your money a lot sooner by signing it so that they will release your check voluntarily, than you will if you have to go through a wage claim with the state DOL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">