• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quite an interesting termination - anything illegal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeremiah12

My state is TN.

I had an employment agreement with my company - part of it was a contractual profit percentage I had with the company.

My boss didn't like me working on a project completely unrelated from our industry (not in competition, I was doing it upon him hiring me, and it's family owned) over a holiday.

He told me that he felt 'personally betrayed' (he previously offered to buy my other business out, but never went through with it) and that I would have to give up my profit share in his company and shut down my family business. I said, "I guess my other option is to quit?" He said, "yes." So I left.

Now, I know it's illegal to break a compensation clause in a contract without permission from the employee. He didn't tell me this at the time. Likewise, he was coercing me into shutting down my other business even though he was aware of its operation upon hiring me and it didn't compete with our company.

Did he do anything illegal in this instance?

justalayman

Did he do anything illegal in this instance?
that would all depend on what, if anything your contract said to any of the matters involved. In general, an employer can terminate the relationship for any reason, including simply because they wanted to without recourse by either party. That's employment at will. Outside of that, as I said, if your contract (if it truly reaches the level of being a contract) will control and provide you with your answers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">