• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

quitting vs layoff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

loisl

Writing from Massachusetts.
Worked for company for 10 years. Purchased by new corporation in Nov. '00. Given new responsibilities and new supervisor who worked in another state. By March I'd decided the working situation was not tolerable and had a meeting with VP explaining my frustrations. He agreed to look into making changes. I put my requests in writing the day after our meeting. No changes that were promised were forthcoming so I sent a letter of resignation in mid-April. Immediately I was asked "what could be done to get me to stay". I put my requests in writing--offered to stay part time, full time with new supervisor, or become a free-lancer on special projects only. Within a week some requests were promised (a pay raise)in writing, and others were being "worked on" (reporting to a new supervisor and taking on new responsibilities--moving some of my old ones to out-of-state office). Don't leave we'll work it out. Each week I corresponded asking about progress, etc--each time was promised it was looking good (all in writing). On June 29 (a full six weeks after my initial resignation) I was e-mailed that they'd decided to accept my resignation and were restructuring my position. It did not say the position was moving to another state but I know for a fact it has. I received no severance package. Should I pursue this with an attorney for severance pay since I did offer to stay any hours or position we could work out. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">