• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

quotas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

equal rights

What is the name of your state? washington

I work for a very large corporation in the sales department. Recently, our regional director has new policies pertaining to our sales matrics. We have 5 matrics to achieve. I can honestly say that over 80% of the employees within the region are not attaining those matrics. Our managers are supposed to place employees who are not attaining these matrics on performance plans. We were also told that if we don't achieve these goals, after 3 months of being on performance plan, we were to be fired. Even if we achieve 4 out of 5 goals, we still get a written warning. This unrealistic goals has placed many of the sales reps under heavy distress. My question is, what if I get fired for not attaining those goals, do I have the legal grounds to sue the company since over 80% of the sales reps in the area are not attaining them?

JETX

"what if I get fired for not attaining those goals, do I have the legal grounds to sue the company since over 80% of the sales reps in the area are not attaining them?"
*** Though you may think it is unfair or unattainable goals, what you describe is not illegal, nor is it actionable.
And Ober is incorrect.

O

oberauerdorf

Now jet, we all know anyone can sue anyone over anything.

The merits of the suit however is the test. And in this case, although the poster has the right to sue anyone over anything, as you said (and I) they would lose.

simple point ;)

E

equal rights

I have jjust read the replies. I guess I didn't make myself very clear as far as suing the company for being fired for low performance. The base of the lawsuit would be, the expectations should be applied to everyone within the district. LIke I had stated in my post, there are 80% of other employees are also placed on performance plan. If I get fired after 3 months of being on the performance review, shouldn't they be fired also? It's unfair treatment and discrimination. Also, I was told by human resources that I may not transfer to another sales location because I'm on performance plan, yet I found out last week, an employee who is on her last written warning was transferred to another sales location after she applied. I viewed this as unfair treatment and the company can do whatever it chooses and make exemptions for certain employees and not others.

JETX

oberauerdorf said:
Now jet, we all know anyone can sue anyone over anything.

The merits of the suit however is the test. And in this case, although the poster has the right to sue anyone over anything, as you said (and I) they would lose.

simple point ;)
But that was NOT the question. It was, "do I have the legal grounds to sue the company since over 80% of the sales reps in the area are not attaining them?" and the answer to that is NO.

E

equal rights

So I guess the bottomline is that I have no legal grounds to suit even if the other 80% of the sales reps stay employed for the same reasons I'm being fired for. Just wondering because I would consider that as discrimination.

JETX

"I guess I didn't make myself very clear as far as suing the company for being fired for low performance."
*** Nope, you made yourself clear.

"The base of the lawsuit would be, the expectations should be applied to everyone within the district. LIke I had stated in my post, there are 80% of other employees are also placed on performance plan. If I get fired after 3 months of being on the performance review, shouldn't they be fired also?"
*** Nope. There is NO statutory obligation for 'fair', nor is there one that requires all employees to be treated equally...... except as to discrimination (age, sex, disability, race, etc.).

"It's unfair treatment and discrimination."
*** How EXACTLY is it discrimination?? EXACTLY what legal protections were violated by their actions??

"Also, I was told by human resources that I may not transfer to another sales location because I'm on performance plan, yet I found out last week, an employee who is on her last written warning was transferred to another sales location after she applied. I viewed this as unfair treatment and the company can do whatever it chooses and make exemptions for certain employees and not others."
*** Yep. Absolutely correct..... the employer can do pretty much anything that they want to, with specific exceptions. And your situation does not meet those exceptions.

Your issues are STILL not actionable, or illegal.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">