• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Racial and Gender Discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jeffara

I was a candidate for a promotion. Me(African American) and a white male were the only two. My supervisor chose the white male. His reason were he had a mechanical background and that would increase his ability to learn it faster than me, his background gave him an edge over mine. While we were in his office alone, he said" I am going to say this while there are no witness, I think that is a man's job, call me old fashion, but I will feel more comfortable with him over there instead of you. There is a white female holding the same position, I applied for. When I challenged his decision, I went to his superior, my supervisor said it again "its a man's job", but he also added " being a black female, went to your advantage, because there are not black females in leadership positions and some people may take it the wrong way, I should not have said that in front of you." After his superior somewhat apologized for my supervisors way of putting things, he assumed the matter was dismissed. I went to the head of human resources, in so many words he dismissed my supervisors actions saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks". Is this a misunderstanding or is it discrimination. Afterall, my supervisor never asked me or checked into my background, he just assumed because I was a woman I could not do it. When I said I was more than capable of doing the job, my supervisor immediately began to quiz me on measurements, I said did you as the white male the same questions? He said, "No. but I know he knows the answers. What should I do now.

ALawyer

IF THERE IS A PATTERN OF DISCRIMINATION AT THE COMPANY OR THIS PLANT THIS IS ATTRACTIVE FOR A LAWYER TO HANDLE!

If it is a "he said - she said" and the candidiates were treated a bit unfairly and the one employee makes a big fuss over it, of takes it to the EEOC, sometimes the boss or company will probably try to (illegally) retaliate in a way that you never will see coming. Life ain't fair, but sometimes doing something is counter-productive. Get a friend or minister to advise you. If you have a union, ask the union too. And who knows a lawyer may know about 10 other cases like yours and just be waiting for the 11th to prove a point.

------------------
To retain a lawyer, I suggest you go to http://AttorneyPages.com which is endorsed by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. This response is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. As you are not my client I have no obligation of any kind to you.

J

Jeffara

Thank you for your reply. There are a number of discrimination in this plant, but no one has ever bothered to speak up, including myself. We do not have a union, it was voted out a couple of years ago. I am aware that the company may retaliate, it has happened before in other instances. That is why I am researching the matter, before I go any further. I have reported what was said to other management, I have one link left in the chain of command to speak with and I will file a complaint after that. So far all the responses I have received in my plant have been, "you cant teach an old dog new tricks" and " he is probably not aware that what he was saying was wrong". Alot of other employees are fed up and so am I. Even if it proves to be counterproductive, I just cant let this one go. Again thank you for your response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">