• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Random - Felon Applying to a Teaching Hospital/State University

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AppleBrownBetty

What is the name of your state? Maryland.

Good evening,

I had a felony conviction reduced and later thrown out by a California court back in 2010. This allowed me to answer NO on job applications when they ask if you've ever been convicted, with the exception of government positions. I have not had any issues with background checks since 2010.

Right now, I am working as a temp at a teaching hospital in Maryland, and I've been here about a month. I met with my boss today, and she let me know that I will be hired on permanently within the next couple of weeks. The temp agency did a background check and a drug test before I was able to start the temporary work. I would be an employee of University of Maryland Medical Center.

Since this teaching hospital is a part of University of Maryland, will I be considered a state employee? If so, I will definitely need to disclose that I WAS convicted, correct? I don't want to "lie" on the application if I am still required to disclose it.

commentator

When you say "government positions" it sounds as though they are taking about intensive background check security clearance required government positions. (Usually with the federal government.) Employment at a teaching hospital loosely connected with a state university system doesn't qualify as that. Not at all sure to me that state government is what they were talking about in this situation at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">