• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Raw Deal from VFW

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Scotter1955

IOWA-My wife was called into a meeting with canteen members and was told she was temporary suspended WITH PAY until they could get Bonding Insurance on her which wasn't done when she first started. My credit caused her all these problems. The Post Commander told her not to worry she's still getting paid. Found out today that she's only getting 2 days of pay and terminated. I got the Bonding Issue resolved but now they aren't telling why she is terminated. She has also submitted 6 - 7 times to management about back pay that they didn't give her from her first 90 days on the job (approximately $1,500.00) She has brought this up constantly over the last 1 1/2 years but they say they can't afford it. They pay all the bar help and cleaning services under the table except for my wife which getting a weekly check that doesn't show hours, taxes, etc. They also promised her vacation pay which she hasn't taken any since being there. She has informed management that one of the officers is trading gambling tickets in for cash when no one is around which may be the issue here. She has worked 14 - 16 hour days and was well liked by 99% on the members. I think she deserves here back pay, severance, and vacation pay. The rumor going around the place is that she was let go because of her credit and Bonding which I found a company that would do it. I would also think a reasonable explanation for termination would be appropriate rather than having something nailed on her like stealing or something. We are friends with all officers of the club but they don't control the canteen members that made this decision. Do we have any case here for wrongful termination? Monies Promised not Paid? Severance Package for 1 1/2 - 2 years of service? Disclosing confidential information to the club members making us look like bad people?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Wrongful termination - no. This does not meet the legal definition of a wrongful termination. It may or may not have been unfair, but it was not an illegal term.

Monies promised not paid - she can make a claim for any wages for hours WORKED that she did not receive by filing a complaint of unpaid wages with your state DOL. The state of Iowa only requires the payout of vacation time if it is promised under company policy. She may or may not be able to make a claim for payment while she was suspended, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Severance - No. Severance is not required by law. Unless she was operating under a binding, enforceable contract that guarantees severance, she has no legal claim to it.

Confidential information - no. The only information an employer is required by law to keep confidential is any medical information they may have on her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">