• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this really what it is and that's it...????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Doggydaddy

Minnesota **************

I applied for a job, and apparently I signed a piece of paper stating that if within ninety days, if I got fired, or quit before that ninety days was up, the company would not pay me the wage I was promised, but rather, the first forty hours would be at minimum wage, and all other hours would be at the wage I was promised.

Seven days later, I was told that the company was slowing down, and couldn't keep me busy, and would have to let me go..... But when I asked them the next day, as I called about my first and last check, I asked a different person, to clarify what I was being fired for, and I recorded this on my phone, and I was told again that things were getting slow, but only now, I was also told, that I was not as enthusiastic as I displayed when being interviewed.

It was strange, and when I asked if being at the job every night for those seven days, fifteen minutes before my boss got to the building to let me in, was displaying a lack of enthusiasm.... if asking all possible questions I could to understand my job was displaying a lack of enthusiasm.... and if, after three days, attempting to do the job, even though I wasn't fully understanding what I fully needed to know, was displaying a lack of enthusiasm......

The guy let out a heavy sigh, and then said that I didn't catch on as quick as some others did in the past, and that it just wasn't working out. He then went back to the reason as being lack of work, and how it was getting slow.....

So now, instead of getting $1055.00 for the seven days of work, I am getting $460, and am being told that, they are taking out the cost for training me for the three days, the six pieces of paper that was used to print my orders on, to do the payroll, and additional administration needs needed when prosessing me as an employee.....

There was a DOT physical involved, and a drug screen, but I didn't participate in doing either one, because I wasn't sure I wanted to stay there myself.

My question is..... has anybody challenged this action with an employer??? I have heard some employers do this, but is it something that can be challenged in small claims court..... or would the odds be stacked against me to great to even try.....????

Thanks for any opinions, or advice......

Betty

They can terminate you at any time for any reason not protected by law (ie age, sex, religion, etc.) Re your pay if you signed an agreement, I don't see any recourse. However, I'm not real sure about them taking out for the cost of your training, etc. Hold for a HR person to come along & see what they say.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">