• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

reason

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nremtb

What is the name of your state? Ohio
I was terminated from my job, however, my employer is now obligated by Sunshine Laws to not state a reason for termination. Under this obligation they cannot state whether the reason I was terminated was my fault or not. It cannot be placed in my personnel file either. Does this mean that I can apply for unemployment benefits? Isn't the UC office going to require a reason? How would "Irreconcilable differenences" go over?

Beth3

Maybe I've missed some development in Ohio, but a quick internet search on "Sunshine Laws' indicated that applies to a requirement that government meetings and related records be open to the public.

What makes you think that Sunshine Laws have anything to do with your situation?

N

nremtb

My termination took place in "executive session" which maintains that matters discussed be kept confidential. Not only that, but the employer stated that they were not going to make the reason public (place it in the minutes of the meeting) nor would they place it in the personnel file, and they would even give me a letter of recommendation.

N

nremtb

Additionally...

I was wondering what, if anything, I could do if there were a violation of these laws made by my employer. Reason being, my employer broke the rule to keep certain matters confidential during a regular session meeting and that meeting was audiotaped, so I have proof.

Beth3

I'm going to let someone else advise you further (if they can) as my knowledge of Sunshine Laws is limited to the 10 minutes of research I did. My simplistic take on it though is that Sunshine Laws dictate just the opposite of what you're suggesting, which is that meetings and related records in most instances be OPEN to the public, not the reverse. (In other words, those laws dictate that the sun be allowed to shine in, hence the name.)

I suspect that Sunshine Laws may have nothing to do with your situation; rather the issue is the statement made by the employer the matter will be kept confidential. As you were obviously a private sector employee, there may be protections that uniquely apply here.

N

nremtb

Thanks Beth. Just to let you know, you are correct in the meaning behind the words, and that these laws govern openness of public meetings. However, there are some situations where certain matters are kept confidential. I believe Ohio.Gov has a link....and it's in Ohio Revised Code 121.22

H

hexeliebe

Before I give you an answer you need to give a little more information. Particularly, for whom were you working, what exactly was said on the audio tape and have you pursued any other avenues such as obtaining a copy of your personnel file?

N

nremtb

I was working for an Ambulance Company that is of a Joint Ambulance District (not a private company), It is a government entity. Matters to be kept confidential were the reason for termination. During an open session meeting, another employee spoke out in regard to my termination and stated that he felt it was unfair. During further discussion, a Board Member stated the reason for my termination and other matters pertaining to my being fired, matters that they specifically stated to me would not be discussed outside of the executive session. I have the entire conversation (open session) on audiotape. I have not yet obtained a copy of my personnel file to see if there is a reason stated there. If there is, then they have once again breeched what they said.

H

hexeliebe

If you have the reason on audio tape then the board waived executive session and cannot now claim the right.

You need to get a copy of your personnel file and as soon as you do head to an attorney's office. You need local advice on this matter.

I have not yet obtained a copy of my personnel file to see if there is a reason stated there. If there is, then they have once again breeched what they said.
This has nothing to do with your situation. Whatever is in your personnel file is only relevant to a comparison of what was said in the open meeting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">