• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reason for filing for unemployment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

manningsuz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA
My daughter was recently diagnosed with clinical depression and hospitalized. My full time job is interfering with caring for her properly, attending appointments and the simple need to be with her and not working. I'm a single mother so I'm the only one who can be responsible. Is this a good enough reason to file for unemployment if I can't keep my job due to family responsibilities?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA
My daughter was recently diagnosed with clinical depression and hospitalized. My full time job is interfering with caring for her properly, attending appointments and the simple need to be with her and not working. I'm a single mother so I'm the only one who can be responsible. Is this a good enough reason to file for unemployment if I can't keep my job due to family responsibilities?
No this is not a valid reason for collecting unemployment benefits. These benefits are to be used by people who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own. You are looking to willingly leave your employment to take care of a sick relative.

You might want to see if your state offers any type of paid leave for taking care of a sick relative.

xylene

No this is not a valid reason for collecting unemployment benefits. These benefits are to be used by people who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own. You are looking to willingly leave your employment to take care of a sick relative.

You might want to see if your state offers any type of paid leave for taking care of a sick relative.
That is not automatically correct.

The poster is going to need to see what happens when she has exhausted FMLA...

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
MA does not offer paid leave to take care of sick relatives. Nor does needing to take care of a sick relative qualify them for UI, even after FMLA has been exhausted, in MA.

xylene

MA does not offer paid leave to take care of sick relatives. Nor does needing to take care of a sick relative qualify them for UI, even after FMLA has been exhausted, in MA.
The poster needs to work with the system.

Voluntarily quitting guarantees no UI, that is true.

My advice is simple, work the FMLA benefit to the max and then let the employer make a move.

commentator

If you qualify, FMLA will be the way to go. If you do not have FMLA eligibility, you still need to try to keep working. Your daughter may get better soon. You will not be eligibile for unemployment. In order to qualify, you have to be able, available and actively seeking work each week. This is not set up to be a disability insurance or a program for people who can't work due to their own or a family member's illness.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">