• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

record conversation w/out knowledge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

someones mom

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

My son was terminated w/out cause and wants to go and talk w/ previous employer and record conversation w/out them knowing. Is this legal?

BelizeBreeze

someones mom said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

My son was terminated w/out cause and wants to go and talk w/ previous employer and record conversation w/out them knowing. Is this legal?
No, it is not. Tell sonnyboy to quit trying to audition for Perry Mason.

Beth3

Wis. Stat. § 968.31: A person who is a party to a wire, electronic or oral communication, or who has obtained prior consent from one party, can legally record and divulge the contents of the communication, unless he does so for the purpose of committing a criminal or tortious act.

Under the statute, consent is not required for the taping of a non-electronic communication uttered by a person who does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in that communication. See definition of "oral communication," Wis. Stat. § 968.27.

Effective Feb. 1, 2003, the punishment for recording or disclosing the contents of a conversation without the appropriate consent is imprisonment for up to six years and/or a criminal fine of up to $10,000. Wisconsin law expressly authorizes civil damages for violations and allows recovery of the greater of actual damages, $100 for each day of violation or $1,000, along with punitive damages, litigation costs and attorney fees.

BelizeBreeze

Beth3 said:
Wis. Stat. § 968.31: A person who is a party to a wire, electronic or oral communication, or who has obtained prior consent from one party, can legally record and divulge the contents of the communication, unless he does so for the purpose of committing a criminal or tortious act.

Under the statute, consent is not required for the taping of a non-electronic communication uttered by a person who does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in that communication. See definition of "oral communication," Wis. Stat. § 968.27.

Effective Feb. 1, 2003, the punishment for recording or disclosing the contents of a conversation without the appropriate consent is imprisonment for up to six years and/or a criminal fine of up to $10,000. Wisconsin law expressly authorizes civil damages for violations and allows recovery of the greater of actual damages, $100 for each day of violation or $1,000, along with punitive damages, litigation costs and attorney fees.
This is what her son was told when HE posted the same question.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This question was posted initially at 5:38, edited "because she was getting no responses" six MINUTES later, and then a second post added three MINUTES after that. Evidently no one has anything to do but sit around and answer HER questions.

BelizeBreeze

cbg said:
This question was posted initially at 5:38, edited "because she was getting no responses" six MINUTES later, and then a second post added three MINUTES after that. Evidently no one has anything to do but sit around and answer HER questions.
Well dear, you're here aren't you ;)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I wasn't during that nine-minute period she was having tantrums because no one was answering her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">