• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Record Retention While Recruiting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bjf2312579

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

While recruiting applicants for open positions, we use various job posting sources that get funneled into one inbox and we track them by entering them into a spreadsheet applicant log. Currently we have no set policy on whether we only enter and keep records on applicants that we want to speak with/pursue, or if we enter ALL applicants for a certain position.

Does HR have to keep the application/resume for every single applicant, even if you are not going to pursue them at all? I know that applications are supposed to be kept on file for 1-2 years for various reasons, but does this mean every single application that people submit? This seems impractical due to the fact that you could get hundreds of applications for a certain position. It seems wasteful to spend valuable time logging and filing applications for people that you are not even going to contact. This is especially true for positions that are set up as more of a pool rather than a single open position, that is, you may go through periods of heavy hiring for or little to no hiring, but it is always posted because we may need someone in that area at anytime.

Also, do you have to send a correspondence to every applicant you do not pursue to say you are pursuing other applicants, thanks for applying but not at this time, etc.? This also seems wasteful time management.

Thanks for your help!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

While recruiting applicants for open positions, we use various job posting sources that get funneled into one inbox and we track them by entering them into a spreadsheet applicant log. Currently we have no set policy on whether we only enter and keep records on applicants that we want to speak with/pursue, or if we enter ALL applicants for a certain position.

Does HR have to keep the application/resume for every single applicant, even if you are not going to pursue them at all? I know that applications are supposed to be kept on file for 1-2 years for various reasons, but does this mean every single application that people submit? This seems impractical due to the fact that you could get hundreds of applications for a certain position. It seems wasteful to spend valuable time logging and filing applications for people that you are not even going to contact. This is especially true for positions that are set up as more of a pool rather than a single open position, that is, you may go through periods of heavy hiring for or little to no hiring, but it is always posted because we may need someone in that area at anytime.

Also, do you have to send a correspondence to every applicant you do not pursue to say you are pursuing other applicants, thanks for applying but not at this time, etc.? This also seems wasteful time management.

Thanks for your help!
Well, unless MN has some weird laws, there is no reason that you have to keep ANY applications other than those of the people you actually hire...or may want to hire in the future. There can be practical reasons for keeping the applications of people you actually interview, but I sincerely doubt that there is much, if any, state regulation on the subject of what paperwork you have to keep for people you don't even interview.

Now, management could require you to keep more extensive records, for whatever the heck reason they want...and if you do not comply, you could lose your job.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And now for the correct answer:

http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/recordkeeping_obligations.cfm

bjf2312579

And now for the correct answer:

http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/recordkeeping_obligations.cfm

Thanks, this is what I feared. Seems like an awful waste of time although I am sure the EEOC could need the outlook of a complete applicant pool in some situations.

What about sending a thanks but not thanks letter? Is it required?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">