• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reference!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

theginag

What is the name of your state? NC
Is there a way to find out what kind of reference a recent employer is giving out to people when they call? I get interviews all the time and they seem to go terrific but as soon as they call my last employer, which I left on bad terms, I get no response. I have a feeling they are "black-balling" me and I would love to know. Can I legally have a friend call for me and if it is true that are doing that to me, can I take any actions against them? Thanks in advance!

BTW, I have to give this place because it was my first and only real job that is relevant to my degree. It was suppose to be my "experience job"!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just to clear up a misuse of terms, "blackballing" would be if your former employer called up other companies, unsolicited, and told them not to hire you. A negative reference, solicited, is not, techncially, blackballing or blacklisting.

Now, as to your question. A quick internet search will provide you with a number of reference services that will call your former employer and report to you what was said. I cannot recommend any particular one or ones because I have never used them. You can also ask a trusted friend to do so.

What do you do with the results? A negative references is not illegal unless it is untrue. If the information they are giving is either true or their honest opinion, you have no legal cause of action regardless of the consequences and regardless of whether you agree with it or not. If the information they are giving is FACTUALLY UNTRUE, that's different, but an honest opinion that happens to be negative is protected. "She was fired for stealing" - unless, of course, you actually WERE fired for stealing :) - would be factually untrue. "We didn't think she was good management material" is opinion and therefore protected. The burden of proof would be entirely upon you to show that the reference was false and/or provided in bad faith.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">