• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reference

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jayntou

What is the name of your state? California

When I left my last job I signed a release form. The release stated that I had resigned as well as a lot of legal stuff and was signed by the president. I hired an internet company to check my reference and found that my boss is telling people that I was let go. The company is small and has no HR dept and I don't want to speak directly to my old boss. I think I gave up the right to sue when I signed the release form. What is the best way to correct this reference and what are my rights.What is the name of your state?

fairyclass

You stated that the release you signed stated that you resigned? If the release in fact stated that you voluntarily resigned, then they can not tell other employers you were let go. Actually, by law, employers can only state your hire dates and whether or not you are eligible for rehire. Now, if you sign a release with a prospective employers, they can inquire other questions, and may or may not get answers based on the individual company policy. You have said you do not want to talk to your old boss. I am unsure what to tell you. I suppose if you want to pursue further you could consult with an attorney in your own state, however, without knowing for sure the entire document you signed, you may or may not have a case. Employers, especially small organizations can do things in a dirty way, because they do not have an HR department to consult with them legally, and they are ignorant to laws. However, on the flip side they generally get away with it because no one, like yourself, wants to start that much trouble. In a kind manner you could call and ask your previous boss what they are telling other employers when calling for a reference. This may be a start to a stop. Good luck to you!

anteater

fairyclass said:
.... Actually, by law, employers can only state your hire dates and whether or not you are eligible for rehire.
Uh.... you want to make a stab at providing a reference for this statement?

Beth3

Actually, by law, employers can only state your hire dates and whether or not you are eligible for rehire. I'd like to see a legal cite too because that is completey untrue.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Fairyclass has fallen into a common mistake. NO law in ANY state limits employers like that. I will be very interested to see what legal cites she can provide.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">