• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reference Check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jayceey

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Michigan

I was recently fired for misconduct. My former employer's HR dept. directs prospective employers to an 800# that only verifys dates of employment and salary history.

I have a good relationship with my former boss, and with his permission I used him as a reference. Does my prospective employer have the right to ask my former boss the conditions of my dismissal?

Also, I have received a job offer from another company, and I am still deciding on accepting the position. Do employers ever do reference checks after a job offer?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Does my prospective employer have the right to ask my former boss the conditions of my dismissal?

Yes; in fact there are circumstances in which they can be held liable if they do NOT do so. That doesn't mean they will or they won't, but there is nothing illegal about asking such a question.

Do employers ever do reference checks after a job offer?

Some employers will make a job offer contingent on a successful reference check. But if you're talking about whether or not an employer will ever do a job offer after you start work, yes, it's not totally unknown, but generally it will only happen if the company is sold, they get a DOD contract, or there is some MAJOR change to the company format that makes a review of ALL company employee's references advisable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">