• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reference check from past employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

delta1913

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania.
I recently went on an interview and within the same week I was "laid off" by the current employer. To the prospective employer's understanding I am still working there as far as he knows. If I happen to get an offer, what questions can prospective employer ask my past employer and what information under law can the past employer supply the prospective employer.

Beth3

Your prospective employer can ask your former/current employer anything they wish to. Your former/current employer can tell them anything they wish with the exception of medical information they may have about you.

I urge you to tell your prospective employer you were laid off and that you no longer work there when the appropriate opportunity arises. If you don't and the prospective employer calls them for a reference and finds out you misrepresented your employment status, they'll question your honesty. Lots of people get laid off - unless there's more to the story (such as that you were actually terminated for poor job performance or misconduct) it should not impede your future employment prospects.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">