• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

References....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

broken_angel

What is the name of your state? Scotland, UK

i am not sure if this is the right thread to put this topic in but basically after i was fired for Gross Misconduct, i finally got a job today but im beginning to worry now, because since i went through an agency to find this job i had to give my past employer as a reference.

i am scared incase they have to say anything bad on my reference which will make my new employer decide not to keep me but i have heard that it is illegal to give a bad reference. can someone help me because this is also for a friend who recently got fired before she started her job due to her past employer giving a bad reference for her and she has been told she does not have the right to see the reference given! :mad: :(

ENASNI

well...

Well lassie
You got help on your last post... and were asked your state...you never gave it.
now we see you are in the UK
We don't know the rules on the other side of the pond.
Sorry

Good luck

Beth3

angel, this site deals with U.S. laws only. All I can tell you is that in the U.S., an employer is free to provide any truthful information they wish to when contacted for a reference, which includes providing the reason someone left their employment. If it happens that the person was fired for misconduct, the employer may provide those details. I'd be very surprised if it weren't the same in the U.K.

Also in the U.S., employees do not have any legal right to know what was said in a reference. Those are considered confidential between employers.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Please explain to me what would be the point of giving references at all, if it were illegal to give a bad reference.

Whoever told you that doesn't know what they are talking about. That's utter nonsense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">