• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

References

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hanstone

I am in the Phoenix Arizona area.
I applied for a job with a major construction company Phoenix via a head hunter.
After a face to face interview and an online HELM test I was asked to provide professional references.
I took the time to gather the references that I believed would shed the best light on my background and specifically left OFF the list my last employer for several reasons.
1 I did not see eye to eye with the general superintendent there.
2. because I did not want the fact that I was even considering going back into the field of construction to make the gossips rounds around the water jug and quickly spread throughout the city that I had recently (nearly 2 years ) 2 years in April left to pursue a career in Real Estate as a private investor. I DID NOT WANT ANYONE TO THINK THAT I HAD FAILED AT INVESTING simply because I hadn’t and because it is none of there business.
I have done well over the last two years but thought I would test the market here in Phoenix to see what sort of wage package I might receive if I decided to go back to work as a on site super of construction.
The employer that I interviewed with and sent the references to via the head hunter went around my written references and called the old employer and spoke directly to the very person that I was trying to avoid in the first place.
I later received an offer for employment from the construction company that was 45K less than I was paid at that old employer.
Was it unlawful for the employer to do this (call some one at a company that I had specifically left off of my reference sheet?What is the name of your state?

mlane58

Was it unlawful for the employer to do this (call some one at a company that I had specifically left off of my reference sheet?
Even though I believe it was highly unethical, there was nothing illegal about what this employer did.

hanstone

mlane58 said:
Even though I believe it was highly unethical, there was nothing illegal about what this employer did.
Thank you for the quick reply.
The reason I asked is do to all of the hard to understand laws of hiring and firing.

I would have liked to litigate if there was a law that was broken.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There was no law broken. Arizona is not one of the very few states that requires you sign a release before any reference information can be given, or limits the employer to calling only the references you provide.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">