• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

References

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cherry2010

I live in Oklahoma and recently moved from Texas. A former employer is giving my perspective employers a slandering reference about me. I was falsely accused of falsifying company documents, suspended during investigation and then quit. I was not given any infomation regarding investigation, what they discovered or found, and had no recourse to defend myself and refused to sign seperation letter they asked me to, and quit. I did not falsify any company documents.I was told by my most recent employer of which I was employed one week what was said during the refernce call. The content was slandering. Inappropriate. Other than not listing this employer on a resume, do I have a case for slander?
I have lost countless job opportunities becuase of this in the last 4 months only. I worked for this employer in 2007. How come now the bad references are happening? I have been recruited to two other employers since that time, and have had extensive background checks and recieved and offer of employment and accepted.
I was overqualified for the position this former employer offered me and evidently ruffled my bosses feather because I was more qualified than him but I needed work. I did not openly challenge him, but did correct him when appropriate. I believe the accusation was retaliation for being a "threat" to his position. He was demeaning an worked me an outrageouse schedule but I hung in there and then he made this accusation on me. What can I do?

Hot Topic

Why did you quit during the investigation instead of fighting to clear your name?

What you "believe" about your manager is not binding in a court of law.

cherry2010

Regarding Reference

My most recent manager said, (quote), "I was told that you were unreliable and untrustworthy".

The reasons I could not defend myself regarding the accusation at the previous employer.
Suspended---couldn't not speak with anyone other than District Manager, he was conveniently on vacation.
Requested investigation results--denied.
Attempted to contact District Manager after this, would not take my calls or reply to several emails.

After setting aside my feelings about this termination over this bad reference claim, I paid a company to check my references for me. None were derogatory or defaming. Found out the manager that accused me in 2007 of falsifying documents ran the unit we managed into the ground and it closed.

I have a feeling that this most recent manager lied to me. I think that he is sore because I came down with the flu my second week with the company. Had doctors note**************..it was moderate food poisoning. He fired me the day I was to return. I missed 2 days of work.

pattytx

The manager is just relaying the opinion of another and, obviously, that manager has reason to believe the opinion is correct. That is not slander or defamation; it's an honestly held opinion.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That is not slander. If the employer believes that you are unreliable and untrustworthy, the law allows him to say so. Even if you have a valid reason for the absence, if he still found that to be unreliable, he's permitted to say so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">