• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refusal to hire

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lostkydad

I live in Kentucky and was interviewed for a position in Ohio.

This morning I interviewed for a position for which I am highly qualified. I was told by the hiring manager that I have all the necessary education and experience and would be a good fit for the company. Then he asked if I used tobacco. When I said yes, he informed me that they do not hire tobacco users. This question was not on the online application. Is this legal?

Thank you.

Beth3

Is this legal? Yes.

There are just several States that prohibit discrimination in employment based on the "use of lawful products while off-duty" (i.e. tobacco and alcohol) and I don't believe Ohio is one of them.

ESteele

Unfortunately for you, OP, Ohio is one of twenty-one states in which employers can legally discriminate against individuals who use tobacco products. In contrast, your home state, twenty eight other states and the District of Columbia prohibit such discrimination in the workplace.

In short, OP, unless Ohio legislature bends to the will of the powerful tobacco lobby and passes a similar bill, this prospective employer and other employers in Ohio can legally refuse to hire smokers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">