• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reimbursement if terminated or quit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

helexia23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

I have a personal credit card that I use for work expenses and get reimbursed every month. Right now it has a $20,000 balance which my employer pays all of or part of every month.

I am worried if I quit, or the company gets sold or something that I will not get reimbursed. Do I have any rights, or since it is a personal credit card would I be stuck with the debt?

pattytx

There is no wage and hour law in your state that requires you be reimbursed at all. However, if it is the company's policy, I don't know why they wouldn't. Why do you think they might not?

helexia23

There is no wage and hour law in your state that requires you be reimbursed at all. However, if it is the company's policy, I don't know why they wouldn't. Why do you think they might not?
I know the company is having serious cash-flow problems. They used to pay off the entire balance every month, but now it's just a few thousand. I have been with the company for ten years so I'm not "that" worried but still it's in the back of my head.

The company pays all interest, so no matter what amount they pay on it every month, I never pay a dime. It just crossed my mind that if they ever filed chapter 11, I'd be in deep trouble.

Is there any criminal law against not paying an employee back?

ecmst12

Nope no laws at all (like Patty said). Perhaps you should request a card in the company's name instead of yours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">