• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this release document legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

timzh2009

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ID

I am a government employee and I got a terminal contract, which is actually not well founded. Then I negotiate for extend the terminal contract, the administration proposed the following:
1. the contract can be extended but I will not be treated normally as my peers during the peroid;
2. I have to sign a Release document.

The release document basically says that I "hereby release, acquit and forever discharge xxx (my employer, a state agency), the State of Idaho, and their affiliates and related " everyone (the Releasees) "from any and all charges, complaints, claims, liabilities, liens, obligations, promises, agreements, of any nature whatsoever, known or unknown, suspected or unspected, including but not limited to: a) claims against the xxx based on common law, including without limitation claims of personal injury, emotional or mental distress, denial or termination of employment in violation of the common law or any federal, state, local, or public policy law or regulations; b) claims under federal, state or local laws prohibiting any form of discrimination or retaliation; c) due process claims; and/or d) claims growing out of any legal restrictions on xxx's rights to terminate its employees."

So, basically it says even if they had done something illegal, I will not able to sue them once I sign this. But isn't this release itself illegal by saying these terms in this way?

Beth3

You need to show the document to an attorney in order to have your question answered. This site and others like it provide general legal information, not specific legal advice.

What I can tell you though is that the language in the agreement is commonplace.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">