• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Release of information to propective employers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BrittaS

WA or OR

I was fired from my job and have been looking for new work, I was told by my previous company that their "Policy" is to only release certain information nothing else. My question is can the company that wants me to sign a release of information use this to overide my previous employers policy? The company I am interviewing is in Oregon and I currently live in Washington

Thanks!!

BelizeBreeze

BrittaS said:
WA or OR

I was fired from my job and have been looking for new work, I was told by my previous company that their "Policy" is to only release certain information nothing else. My question is can the company that wants me to sign a release of information use this to overide my previous employers policy? The company I am interviewing is in Oregon and I currently live in Washington

Thanks!!
Their "POLICY" may be to only release certain information, but legally, there is nothing to stop them from releasing any factual information including opinion.

BrittaS

BelizeBreeze said:
Their "POLICY" may be to only release certain information, but legally, there is nothing to stop them from releasing any factual information including opinion.

Ok so what your telling me is they can say anything as long as I have signed this release?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The law permits an employer to give any truthful information, including their honest opinion, to a prospective employer regardless of whether you have signed a release or not. What information a company provides, and whether or not they want a release from you or not, is a matter of company policy, and they are permitted to change their policies if they choose with no permission from you. However, the decision as to what information is released will be made by your previous employer; a release, signed by you, from the prospective employer does not OBLIGATE the former employer to provide any more information than they choose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">