• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Release of Liability and Claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LindyP

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Oregon

Is it legal for an organization to require you to sign a waiver stating "I hereby voluntarily agree to unconditionally release and discharge you and/or the successors, employees, officers and directors of your agency and/or organization from all claims, liabilities and causes of action, known or unknown, fixed or contingent that arise from or that are in any manner connected any information regarding my employment, including but not limited to, evaluations or assessments or my job performance and/or good faith expressions or opinions regarding my job performance. This release includes, but is not limited to, claims of defamation, libel, slander, negligence, or interference with contract or profession." It goes on to state that the individual will not sue the organization or any of its employees as a result of furnishing that information. Also if you did not sign this before the interview process you may not be allowed to interview.

Beth3

Yes, it's legal. What it is is a wavier of liability for any future reference information the employer should provide to a prospective employer. It's really not anything for you to worry about. The employer is just trying to avoid frivilous lawsuits.

LindyP

Waiver

Thanks. Was just curious as it seems if someone was to purposely slander or defame a person because they had an issue with them, that individual would have no re-course especially if they didn't get the job.
Am I right?

Beth3

Perhaps. But if the employer provides a defamatory or negligent reference for you in the future, only an attorney can advise you at that time based on your State's case law and the specific facts of your situation. I can assure you that the employer requesting that you sign the waiver in no way implies the employer is going to engage in any wrongdoing. Such statements are just SOP these days.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
To put it frankly, when you consider the number of employees who at the very least threaten to file a lawsuit for a reference they earned but do not like, (quite a lot) as opposed to the number of references given that actually meet the definition of defamation, (very few), your employer's request for such a waiver is completely understandable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">