• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Release of personnel files

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SteveMNComp

What is the name of your state? Minnesota
I quit my job after three years due to what I felt was too stiff a penalty for a small offense I was unaware of. I have asked for a copy of my personnel files in writing, both through mail and fax on the same day. I receive a copy of my personnel files 2 days later, but none of my disciplanary action files/documents were included. When I called the team who handles the inquiries and sending of the personnel files and said I did not receive the files, they stated it was not their job to compile the information, just to send what was in the file. When I spoke to a supervisor on the team, she stated I had to call my HR rep to get the missing files. They also said that I would have to work out a way to get the files from my HR rep or send another written request to them once they get the files. I have called my HR rep twice and have not received a call back. I am planning to call the people who handle the files again. From what I read in Minnesota statutes, the company has 7 business days to let me see the files. I am wondering what remedies I can take to resolve the matter? I feel like I'm being made to do a lot of extra work I shouldn't have to. Can any action be taken if the HR rep gives me a way to see the files even after the 7 days?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What action do you propose taking? You quit.

You probably have recourse if they do not provide copies of the files, but what action do you think you can take once you get them? The company has not violated the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">