• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relo payment unfair?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

netguy

I took a job with a network consulting company that required us to sign a relocation agreement that limits reimbursement to 4000.00. The hiring manager would not change the agreement when I requested it be higher as I knew my move would cost more. But he verbally promised me that the company would cover all my move expenses. They didn't and then a bill came to me for 5500.00 in December. Now they don't want to pay all the expenses and are trying to string out what they are paying over 6 months (no trust there). Before you think "Hey you signed the relocation agreement." understand that I know of three people they DID pay for their relocation expenses that we're all over 4000.00 and all of those people also signed the relocation agreement. I suspect that many other employee's had their relocation costs over 4000.00 paid for last year too. What is different is the management team and the fact that the lost $10M from Nov - Dec 2000.

Can a company apply a enforcement of this policy inconsistently like this?

Is this a possible case for Official Oppression?

Note. The manager that hired me quit two weeks after I got there and when questioned by our managers now he denied ever making the promise.

D

djdj

Dont worry you will be fired in a few months anyway when they go bankrupt...

So at least you will know better next time how to move cheaply.....

and sell off all of your junk on http://www.ebay.com before you move

N

netguy

How nice

that's a real comfort to hear. Over the years I've always been careful but this was a total lapse on my part and I accept the responsibility.

My problem with this management, like so many over the years is how they capriciously reapply policies that were previously ignored, now they've got a money crunch. It was equally suspicious that this bill was deferred until Dec when other new hires that came on after me had their bills paid by Sept.

FYI I'm already interviewing.

U

Urang4Me

I know first hand about an employer applying policies inconsistently. The answer an attorney gave me was "You work with a buch of jerks but unfortunately there is no basis for legal action." My situation was a bit different but also dealt with a verbally agreed upon financial payment. They "found" a reason not to have to pay me. Chalk it up as a learning experience.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">