• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocated 4 new job; sold home & entered escrow on new home; laid off & now HOMELESS

• Thread starter Suddenly Homeless
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Suddenly Homeless

I know California's an at-will state, but do I have any legal recourse to collect damages or at least relocation expenses from a firm that asked me to relocate and then laid me off (along with most the rest of the firm) just after I'd sold my old home in my old town and entered escrow (which I could not close)on a new home in the new location? I was relocating on behalf of the company, which had recruited me only 2 months ago from a company in which I'd served 10 years.

A

Attorney_Replogle

California Labor Code Section 970-972 prohibits an employer or potential employer to use fraud in order to get an employee (or potential employee) to change his residence in order to take a job. So what is lacking from your post is any information as to whether the employer acted fraudulently against you as compared to a business necessity for the mass terminations. Since you state that most of the firm was also laid off, it sounds as if it was a business necessity (also known as a Reduction In Force) to cut costs by cutting the staff.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">