• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocated and Fired in 3 weeks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

screwedinaz

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I was employed at a respectable and well-paying job in California when I was offered at position in Phoenix. I decided to take the offer and moved to Arizona. Three weeks after I started I was fired for allegedly "not working independently enough." Now, I'm stuck in a city where I don't know a soul, am bound to lease, and do not have job. During my short-lived career at this company, I was never told my work was inadequate and was always told my work was good.

I know I don't have any claim for any type of discrimination, but I know there is a statute in California called Labor Code section 970 which makes it actionable to induce someone to relocate based upon false promises of employment. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Beth3

But where was the false promise of employment? You'd have to prove that they intended to fire you all along. It is really highly unlikely that they went to the trouble of recruiting candidates, interviewing you, offering you the position, waiting for you to relocate so you could undertake employment, all the while planning on getting their jollies by firing you three weeks into the job.

Unless you engaged in some sort of misconduct right off the bat, I would agree that the employer's decision was probably hasty but you haven't suggesting anything that would lead anyone to conclude they offered false inducements in order to get you to accept the position.

S

screwedinaz

I understand your point, but section 970 includes any misrepresentations including terms, length, and basis of employment. In my case, they represented that they had tons of work for me to do and then when I got there I spent half my day bored because they didn't give me anything to do. They told me that the firm would be a great place to work and would be secure on the long term, and then 17 days later, I was gone.

There has to be something actionable about there conduct, especially since, they never once criticized my work. I relied on their representations and moved my entire life to a different state, how can that be okay?

Beth3

Then I suggest you contact CA's Labor Board and see what they have to say. The first issue would be to determine whether this CA regulation even applies - you and the employer are in Arizona. The fact that you were residing in CA when they made the offer may not be relevant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">