• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocated out-of-state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

marirlpn

What is the name of your state? Maine

In 1/04 my husband was contacted by a company in Maine. He was offered a position as warehouse manager, told he would make $15/hr, have a raise within a month, would eventually run a new warehouse they were planning on setting up within a year or two. We were living in Massachusetts at the time. No written contract was made. The owners of the company met with my husband over lunch to discuss this offer. In February, my husband started working for this company. On 6/11/04, our family relocated to Maine. Five days later my husband was terminated for no apparent reason. He was not compensated in any way. Our family was uprooted due to this offer, both of us resigned from good-paying positions and are now going to be financially strapped. Can we do anything legally?

Beth3

That depends on a number of factors that can't be assessed in a forum/format such as this. You and your husband should speak to a local attorney and ask if you have the basis of a claim against the employer for detrimental reliance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">