• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

relocating for company then being laid off?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joeb1980

What is the name of your state? California

Hi all,

My company that I've worked for for almost five years asked me to re-locate almost three months ago. I had to do numerous updates to my house that cost quite a bit of money along with getting a real estate agent. I just found out last week that I am now being laid off and got a pretty marginal (terrible) severance package. My company had already given me the first half of my moving allowance before all of this happened. Before signing the termination "contract", do you think I have a right to ask for the second half of the moving allowance or do you think it would jeopardize the first half that I already received?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

joeb1980

Also, I suppose it should be mentioned that I have not moved yet. I had spent all of this money, time, and hardship (traveling) to only find out that because of the economy, they are downsizing.

ecmst12

How much hardship have you REALLY incurred because the move is no longer needed? Have you lost your lease or sold your house? Have you signed a lease in the new city that you are now obligated to? Or are you just annoyed because you made a couple of trips out there for nothing? The repairs you made to your house - well it probably needed them anyway, and now you get to enjoy them.

joeb1980

all of the improvements made were cosmetic, to help sell the house quickly, such as new carpet, paint, lighting etc. it cost us at least $5k and we are also now tied into a contract with a real estate agent (which i have no idea yet how that is going to pan out).

do you think i should ask for the other half of the money? can they take the first half away?

joeb1980

and again, i should follow up. i'm not asking whether or not i should sue the company. i'm asking whether or not they can take away the first half of the moving allowance they gave me AND whether or not i have the right to the other half of the allowance, as we have been going through the motions for a few months now of moving.

VeronicaLodge

yes they gave you money for relocation, you did not relocate, they will probably ask for it back or deduct it from your severance pay out.

ecmst12

Your answer is probably in the relocation agreement you signed. If you have no written agreement, then who knows.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">