• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

march3012

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I was hired on May 20 2013 and the company paid for my relocation expense which was $3,000. I sign an agreement to pay back if I quit within 18 months.

This company was bought out by another company. Does this mean my contract is invalid? My job is no longer secure as they may close my dept. I dont want to wait until that happen. I rather find another job so that there is no lose of income between jobs.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I was hired on May 20 2013 and the company paid for my relocation expense which was $3,000. I sign an agreement to pay back if I quit within 18 months.

This company was bought out by another company. Does this mean my contract is invalid? My job is no longer secure as they may close my dept. I dont want to wait until that happen. I rather find another job so that there is no lose of income between jobs.
No, the purchase does NOT invalidate your contract.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

It is more likely than not that the contract is still valid & binding. You would want to review it with a local attorney.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Much depends on the exact wording of the agreement AND the terms of sale. You will have to have the agreement reviewed by a local atttorney.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Well, it could. There are not enough facts given to make that determination in such a definite way.
True. I am sorry. I should have said that the sale itself does not invalidate the contract unless the contract states it does.

commentator

While there is always a possibility that you could lose your job, and no one out there in today's workforce should ever feel confident enough in the permanence of their position that they aren't always thinking of doing better, moving on, you're borrowing trouble if you assume you need to jump right off this ship immediately. Especially as my colleagues have informed you, since you might end up owing the new company owners $3K for your relocation back there less than 18 months ago.

You do not know for sure that they are going to close your department yet, do you? There've been tons of rumors, sure. But in my experience with buy outs, closures, and so forth it seems like the people who have the worst outcomes are the ones who try to avoid the whole worry, jump off the ship quickly and run to the next thing they can get hold of, just to avoid the possibility of a lay off, closure, whatever. They tend to make "frying pan into fire" jumps.

Begin a nice, slow, controlled surveillance of the job market. Have some good ideas worked up of places where you might like to move toward. Do everything you can while still with your company to improve your hireability. Start applying for the really really good ones. You certainly do not want to be applying for jobs that pay less, just on the off chance you might have to leave this one. Those are for if you know for sure you're gone, and you're already severed from your company not by your own choice. Of course if you come up with something new that is just jim-dandy, better than what you've got now, you might decide to go on and take it, that it was worth the risk of having to pay back the relocation fees.

It is most likely, it appears to me, that the new company, if they closed down your department and laid you off before the 18 months was up, would be the drivers of the situation in which you left, and therefore you would be much better off to wait and let them terminate you, if they're going to, so you would definitely not owe them any money. You would be able to draw unemployment insurance if there was any down time between working there and the next job, IF it happens.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">